The Church of Our Lady before Týn
The Church of Our Lady before Týn is an important sacral building on the Old Town Square, officially called the Church of Mother of God before Týn. One of the most beautiful Prague’s Gothic buildings is situated on the site where the Týn Courtyard once used to stay. The early Gothic cathedral, whose two high towers are the dominant feature of the city, replaced the original Romanesque church that had ceased to meet the needs of the fast growing Old Town district. The construction of the three-nave basilica began in 1360 and was not finished until the 16th century. At the end of the 17th century, the interior was rebuilt in Baroque style. Inside the church, visitors can see an extensive collection of Gothic, Renaissance and early Baroque works, such as the altarpieces painted by Karel Škréta, a tin babtismal font dating back to 1414 and a late Gothic baldachin dating back to 1493. Today, the cathedral in the Old Town Square is owned by the Roman Catholic parish. Besides other events, church services are regularly held there.
Useful information for visitors
Public transport connections
Náměstí Republiky bus stop, tram stop, metro station (yellow line)
Opening hours and admission
For up-to-date information about the admission fees and opening hours of the Church of Our Lady before Týn, visit the official website. Opening hours may vary due to special church services. For up-to-date information, click here.
Interesting facts about The Church of Our Lady before Týn
The Church of Our Lady before Týn was originally accessible through three Gothic entrance portals – through the Týn School on the Old Town Square, through the Týn Presbytery in Celetná Street and through the northern portal in Týnská Street. Although the latter is permanently closed at present, it is one of the most valuable Gothic monuments in the Czech Republic, partly also thanks to ita rich sculptural decoration with the relief of the suffering Christ. There are also a large number of Renaissance and early Baroque tombstones in the pavement of the Church of Our Lady before Týn. The most famous is the tombstone of the famous Rudolfinian astronomer Tycho Brahe. Also the oldest pipe organ in Prague stands in the church, dating back to 1673. Prague’s second oldest bell, Mary, hangs in the southern aisle of the church.