PragueHere.com O
Search
EN
Language

Menu
en cs

PragueHere.com

City guide by local people

Church of St Giles

The Church of St Giles is a sacral Romanesque building, which was rebuilt in Gothic style in the 14th century. It is part of the Dominican monastery complex in the Old Town of Prague, surrounded by Zlatá, Husova, Jilská and Jalovcova Streets – a short distance from the Klementinum and Charles Bridge. The church is interesting mainly with its Gothic architecture and Baroque interior. The Gothic reconstruction of the original mid-13th-century Romanesque church was initiated by Prague Bishop John IV of Dražice and later finished by Prague Archbishop Arnošt of Pardubice. The interior is adorned with rich stucco decorations, interesting frescoes on the vaults and the 1750 Altar of the Painful Virgin Mary. Visitors can also see the statues of apostles created by famous Czech sculptor Ferdinand Maxmilian Brokoff and a beautiful organ and a pulpit created by woodcarver František Ignác Weiss. Concerts of classical and religious music as well as lectures and exhibitions often take place in the church. For information about tickets, click here.

Useful information for visitors

Address: Husova 228/17, Prague 1 - Old Town
GPS: 50.08502810, 14.41865560

Public transport connections

Karlovy lázně tram stop
Staroměstská bus stop, tram stop, metro station (green line)
Národní třída tram stop, metro station (yellow line)
Mariánské náměstí bus stop

Opening hours and admission

The Church of St Giles can be seen through the bars in the foyer of the church or visited after the service. There is no admission fee in that case. Guided tours can be arranged via a phone call. More information on the official website.

Interesting facts about Church of St Giles

The Church of St Giles was consecrated in 1371 in the presence of prominent Czech monarch Charles IV, his wife Elizabeth of Pomerania and his son and future King Wenceslaus IV of Bohemia.

There are two towers on the western façade of the building that are of different heights. Originally, they were of the same heights as the southern tower, but the church was struck by lightning in the 15th century and the towers partially burned. The heat was so strong it even melted the tower bells. The same lightning also killed a woman who was prayed in front of the main altar for her deceased husband who had drowned that day.

In the Church of St Giles, world-renowned director Miloš Forman also shot scenes for his famous film Amadeus.

Nearby historical sights